Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Shutter Island...Leonardo DiCaprio at his finest.


Those of you who know me and Dennis, can only assume that we saw Shutter Island on the opening night. Well we didn't. We waited until the Saturday matinee. And we weren't disappointed.

But, we weren't movie-induced euphoric either. Shutter Island is definitely worth paying money to see on the big screen, but don't expect to see this film win an Oscar. Don't get me wrong it kept my interest for the majority of the two and half hours but when 140 minutes rolled around I was checking my phone for the time. Not a good sign.

Two of my favorite actors, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo star in this thrilling, intense and keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat drama. The movie is set in 1954 on an island where the mentally and criminally insane reside. US Marshall Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Chuck Aule (Mark Ruffalo), are assigned to investigate and find an escaped patient at the federal maximum security hospital on Shutter Island. Things are not what they seem once they enter the island gates and a gripping mystery soon unfolds the longer they stay on the island.

The first half of the movie is great. The suspense is unrelenting and while the plot thickens your suspicions of what truly is going on continue to change direction. The acting is superb and Leonardo looks as handsome as ever (Dennis knows I have a huge crush).

Near the end of the movie, things start to get much more strange. This is the point where I looked at my phone. I was hoping things would get better and they did. The end of the movie ties things together nicely but still leaves you asking several questions after leaving the theater. You're left to come up with some of your own conclusions and speculations as you try to grasp what just went on the past two and half hours.

This movie is not scary. However, It is very suspenseful. I've heard a lot of people say they won't see it because it looks too scary or more like a horror film. It's far from a horror film. It's more like 24 on steroids. I highly recommend seeing this film if you're into suspenseful and twisted films. Or if you have a big fat crush on Leo like I do.

Overall I would give this film a B+. Great for a Friday night!

Warning: This movie has a lot of F words so if you're offended easily by swear words I wouldn't recommend it.

5 comments:

  1. i totally thought it looked more horror-ish. now i'm more intrigued to see it...but i don't really like scorcese or f words...unless it's a comedy i can handle it better. hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for this review! Happy to hear that it is less horror and more suspense. Just what l like - minus the f-words.

    P.S. - This blog is great. I find myself checking it daily to see if you have seen any more movies that I might want to see. You are saving me time and money :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So who is actually writing these reviews? Dennis or Ashley? Also, I lvoe the idea of a movie review blog since you guys have seen everything. I definitely checked your blog on Saturday when I was thinking about going to see Valentines Day to see if you had reviewed it. I was disappointed that you hadn't and had to pay the money myself to find out that it sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah if we hear movies are REALLY bad then we don't go see them. Valentines Day got the worst reviews ever so we decided to opt out. We will keep writing though! Dennis and I both write the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review. I'll probably see it this weekend.

    Thanks Ash!

    ReplyDelete